10 More Social Entrepreneurship Courses to Help You Change the World
When I talked about social entrepreneurship courses yesterday, I didn’t expect that it would get so popular.
Growing Interest in Social Entrepreneurship Courses
But wow! I was amazed at the enthusiasm from the online community, especially from the folks on Twitter who re-tweeted the post several times throughout the past 24 hours.
Personally, I think that the online interest in social entrepreneurship courses demonstrates the growing offline interest in the subject too.
More students and working professionals are keen to develop their understanding of social enterprise – and many academies and colleges are beginning to take note. I think it’s a positive step to advance the field and to spread the message worldwide.
10 More Social Entrepreneurship Courses to Help You Do GOOD:
With your enthusiasm, I figured that I should present 10 more social entrepreneurship courses that can help you improve your self development in the field.
1.Social Entrepreneurship Courses at Cornell University
Description: Social entrepreneurship courses abound at Cornell, and you can take them as part of a degree at the university. Some of the social entrepreneurship courses there include:
- Social entrepreneurs, innovators and problem solvers
- Non-profit finance and Management
- Sustainability as a Driver for Innovation in the Entrepreneurial Organization
Location: Ithaca, New York, USA
Website: Entrepreneurship @ Cornell
2. Social Entrepreneurship Course Series @ Stanford University
Description: With Stanford University, there are a variety of social entrepreneurship courses that are under the Public Policy Program and Program on Urban Studies. Some of the social entrepreneurship studies that you can take include:
- Social Innovation and the Social Entrepreneur: Creating and Developing U.S. and International Social Sector Initiatives
- Business Concepts and Skills for the Social Sector
- Social Entrepreneurship:Mobilizing Private Resources for the Common Good
Location: California, USA
3. Harvard MBA Courses in Social Enterprise
Description: Harvard Business School integrates social enterprise cases in courses throughout the MBA curriculum, offers a number of courses dedicated to social enterprise, and provides field-based learning opportunities within social enterprise. Some of the social entrepreneurship MBA course electives at HBS include:
- Building Green Businesses
- Business at the Base of the Pyramid
- Commerce and Society: The Strategic Value of Corporate Social Responsibility
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
4. Online Course in Social Entrepreneurship
Description: The course in social entrepreneurship is part of the Certificate Series of the Learning Institute for Nonprofit Organizations. The course is delivered online and it enables you:
- To understand why nonprofits are adopting entrepreneurial strategies
- To learn the critical success factors identified by pioneers in the field
- To learn how to use a special decision-making tool to sort through everything an organization does from both a mission and earned income perspective
5. Graduate Certificate in Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Description: The Graduate Certificate in Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation is designed for those working in and starting new ventures in the community sectors. It is aimed at those who want to know more about how innovation and entrepreneurship can help the health, wealth and well-being of their not-for-profit organisations and communities.
Some of the electives are the following:
- Social Venture Funding
- Foresight and Social Change
- Opportunity Assessment
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Website: The University of Adelaide
6. Program on Social Enterprise (PSE) at Yale University
Description: The Yale School of Management offers a wide array of elective courses that explore issues related to social enterprise, ranging from non-profit management to public policy, from environmental stewardship to business ethics.
Location: New Haven, Connecticut, United States
Website: Program on Social Enterprise at Yale
7. Social Entrepreneurship Outlook Program in Chennai
Description: SEOP is a four-month weekend course for passionate people who manage, work in or plan to start a non-profit or social venture. Participants get an opportunity to meet Ashoka Fellows who have applied business skills in running a non-profit. Case studies and films of social entrepreneurs are screened for better understanding.
Location: Chennai, India
For more information:
SEOP Course Coordinator(9445208867)
Centre for Social Initiative and Management (CSIM)
391/1, Venkatachalapathy Nagar
Alapakkam, Chennai – 600 116
Phone: 044 – 24867565 / 24867566
8. MSc Social Enterprise (Part-time)
Description: The MSc Social Enterprise is the only postgraduate degree in Scotland designed specifically for the growing Social Enterprise sector, developed through the collaboration of Glasgow Caledonian University and the Social Enterprise Academy.
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK
9. MSc/PgDip/PgCert Social Enterprise and Business Democracy
Description: This course is provided by the Sheffield Hallam University. It is designed to help you analyse and develop social enterprises using established knowledge on business democracy and co-operative management. This course is designed to address the needs of people engaged in developing democratic practice and business management.
Some of the course content consist of:
- The context for social enterprise development
- Charity trading and social enterprise
- Developing strategies for change
Location: South Yorkshire, England, UK
Website: Sheffield Hallam University
10. Social Entrepreneurship Short Course at London Business School
Description: Last but not least, we have the social entrepreneurship short course from London Business School. It is entitled: “The New Revolution: Social Entrepreneurship
in the 21st Century.”
The aim of the course is to: provide a comprehensive overview of the emerging field of social entrepreneurship; understand what makes it distinctive; and identify the opportunities it affords to those who wish to become engaged, either full or part-time. The course will focus on the major challenges, both strategic and operational, faced by social entrepreneurs.
Location: London, England, UK
Share More Social Entrepreneurship Courses
Perhaps I have missed out on some courses that are out there.
Do you know any more social entrepreneurship courses that are being offered worldwide?